Unit 1 Singapore Issues Casino License
Singapore's first casino won regulatory approval to open, paving the way for the debut of gambling in the squeaky clean city-state as early as next week's Lunar New Year holiday.
The opening of the casino by Malaysian gambling company Genting Singapore PLC---ahead of Las Vegas Sands Corp.'s much-delayed showpiece project in Singapore's downtown---would bring a formal end to the Singapore government's decades-long opposition to gambling.
该赌场由马来西亚博彩上市公司——新加坡绅士经营，拉斯维加斯金沙集团 (Las Vegas Sands Corp.)在新加坡市中心的示范项目严重滞后，未能抢得先机。意味着新加坡政府数十年来反对赌博的政策正式结束。
1. It also establishes an important new front for the growth of the booming casino industry in Asia, roping in new gamblers even as it seeks to take business away from Macau and smaller gambling operations in Malaysia, Cambodia, the Philippines and elsewhere.
It comes as the city-state seeks to find a competitive edge amid a nascent boom in outbound tourism and business travel from China, India and the rest of the region.
2. But bringing casinos to Singapore also raises a number of sticky questions for the cautious government, which is barring under-21s from entering a casino, proscribing automatic-teller machines from the casino floor and blacklisting anyone deemed to have gambling problems. Authorities are also trying to dissuade Singaporeans and permanent residents from gambling by forcing them to pay a US$70 entry fee to casinos---a levy from which tourists are exempt.
Singapore's Casino Regulatory Authority posted a notice announcing the approval of the license Saturday. While the approval was expected, its timing was unclear. Lim Kok Thay, chairman of Genting Singapore's Resorts World Sentosa said in a statement that he was "happy to have received the casino license."
While largely a formality, Singapore regulators said they wouldn't grant a gambling license to either of the city's two resort operators until a certain proportion of the broader property is finished. Last month, Genting opened four luxury hotels at its project and has been giving private tours of its casino floor, which has been fitted out in anticipation of the license approval.
The company has long hoped to launch its casino operations ahead of the Chinese New Year holiday, which begins on Feb. 14 and is a time when many people in the region will be traveling or on holiday. The company has booked Stefanie Sun, the city's best-known homegrown pop singer, for Feb. 16.
The centerpiece of Resorts World's family-oriented attractions, a large Universal Studios theme park, is also expected to open.
The timing of gambling's arrival in Singapore could prove to be lucky, both for Singapore and for the global gambling industry. 3. Growth prospects remain uncertain in Las Vegas and across the US, while policy uncertainties continue to hover over Macau, the Chinese enclave that delivered most of the industry's revenue growth since 2002.
In this environment, Singapore's casinos could open a big untapped market in Southeast Asia---a fast-growing region of 600 million people---and in doing so help Asia further eclipse the US-based gambling industry.
重点解析 Key Phrases/Words
1. pave the way for v. 为…铺平道路，为…铺平道路，为…做好准备
2. squeaky clean <口>非常干净的； 道德高尚的，无可指责的
3. nascent adj. 初期的， 初生的
4. blacklisting v. 把（某人）列入黑名单
5. dissuade v. 劝阻，劝止，劝戒
6. enclave n. 被包围的领土
7. gambling industry 博彩业
1. It also establishes an important new front for the growth of the booming casino industry in Asia, roping in new gamblers even as it seeks to take business away from Macau and smaller gambling operations in Malaysia, Cambodia. the Philippines and elsewhere.
本句是一个复合句，主句是It also…in Asia, roping in...elsewhere 现在分词短语作伴随状语。其中even as引导时间状语从句，意为“正巧在……的时候，正如“。语法重点：分词短语作状语，时间状语从句
2. But bringing casinos to Singapore also raises a number of sticky questions for the cautious government, which is barring under-21s from entering a casino proscribing automatic-teller machines from the casino floor and blacklisting anyone deemed to have gambling problems.
本句是一个复合句，主句是 But bringing casinos... cautious government，其中 bringing casinos to Singapore是动名词短语作主语。 which引导非限制性定语从句，修饰government，作从句的主语，其中 barring under...casino, proscribing... floor和 blacklisting...problems是三个并列的谓语结构。在blacklisting...problems短语中， deemed to have gambling problems是过去分词短语作后置定语，修饰anyone. 语法重点：动名词短语作主语，分词短语作定语，定语从句
3. Growth prospects remain uncertain in Las Vegas and across the US, while policy uncertainties continue to hover over Macau, the Chinese enclave that delivered most of the industry's revenue growth since 2002.
本句是一个复合句，主句是 Growth prospects remain uncertain in Las Vegas and across the US. while引导时间状语从句，其中the Chinese enclave是Macau的同位语。后面that引导定语从句，修饰Macau。语法重点：时间状语从句，同位语，定语从句。